This soup is unbelievably silky, it carries punchy flavours, and is lifted with just the right amount of heat. I adore this soup, and think that it can be enjoyed in any weather.
SWEET POTATO AND COCONUT SOUP
- 800 g sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 15 cm ginger knob about 2 tablespoons
- 2 chillies seeded and sliced finely (reserve a few slices for garnish)
- 2 tbls butter
- 1 litre chicken stock home-made or good quality shop-bought
- 2 tbls soy sauce
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 coconut shaved (you can use dried, shaved coconut)
- Place a large pot onto medium heat, add butter and gently saute onions, garlic, ginger and chilli.
- Add chicken stock and sweet potato, and simmer until tender. Check after about 15 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool slightly.
- Blend until smooth in a food processor and return to the pot.
- Stir in coconut milk and soy sauce. Taste and season accordingly.
- Toast coconut shavings in a hot dry pan, keep a close eye on them, because they burn easily.
- Serve soup in bowls and top with fresh coriander and coconut shavings.