Honestly, this is not a “healthier alternative” to potato salad. It tasted very different, it isvery fresh, light and zesty! With that said, it will however pair beautifully with anything you would usually enjoy a traditional potato salad with. It would work really well with anything from the ocean too. It tastes like spring.
CAULIFLOWER AND SWEET POTATO SALAD
- 4 sweet potatoes around 800g - cubed
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets, stem reserved
- 1 punnet mange tout peas sliced lengthways
- 1 red onion diced
- 200 ml plain, yoghurt
- 150 g good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tbls capers chopped
- 1 handful mint leaves chopped
- 2 lemons zest of 2 and juice of 1
- 2 tbls strong mustard
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c rice wine vinegar or another good quality vinegar
- 1 lemon juice
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 spring onions
- 1 cauliflower stem sliced thinly
- Combine rice wine vinegar, lemon juice, sugar & salt in a bowl. Submerge spring onion & cauliflower stem in the pickling liquid.
- Set aside. *I like to put the pickling liquid and veggies in a zip lock bag, remove the air and seal.
- Add the sweet potato cubes to a pot of boiling water. Boil until the cubes are just tender, check at 15 mins.
- Boil the cauliflower florets until just tender, about 5 – 10 minutes. Set cauliflower and sweet potato aside at room temperature until needed.
- Combine the cream, mayonnaise, capers, mint, mustard and lemon zest in a bowl, gradually add freshly squeezed lemon juice, whilst whisking.
- Toss the vegetables on a serving platter, drizzle with the dressing & top with the pickle. Taste and season accordingly. I added a few chilli flakes for colour and bite. Bon Appétit